W.I.K.A.B.C. Series: Screening
Sorry people, I'm bad at this. I will get better at this. I will set posting reminders going forward.
Today, I am sharing what I know about breast screening.
Today, I am sharing what I know about breast screening.
- Who: I think this is the most difficult question to answer because even the medical experts have differing opinions. What we knew before was that, generally, people younger than 40 didn't need to get screened. Now, we have 20 and 30 yr olds being diagnosed and treated for breast cancer - I'm only 33. I think the safest thing for people to do is start checking their breasts now, no matter the age. We never pray for breast cancer but not knowing is way more dangerous.
- Why: I've heard people say of breast cancer screening - "you will find what you're looking for". I think that's a very simple mindset. Not all boobs are alike; some people have lumpy breasts on a good day. Some breasts get lumpy around periods. Some nipples are normally inverted; some are always hard... I always tell people, the point of checking your boobs is to get familiar with what they feel like normally. In the event that something funky shows up, it will be easily identified.
- How: Knowing what your breast feels like normally (I call it a breast map) starts with a self breast exam. There are so many tutorials on the interwebs. I don't have a favorite. I'd say do a search to find what works best for you, or visit a doctor to get schooled. Getting some help from a spouse usually takes the fear and tension out of the exam. Screening could also involve mammograms, ultrasound scans, magnetic resonance imaging (MRIs), computed tomography (CT scans), blood tests, biopsies, etc. These are more advanced and need to be done at a medical facility, based on a doctor's recommendation. Please speak to a doctor if the self exam shows something funky.
- When: If you are premenopausal, it's best to check after your period but before ovulation. Self exams can be done every month, or every 6 months, or every two weeks - to each her own, as long as the boobs are checked. A doctor may recommend doing regular scans or mammograms; in such cases, one would have to be extremely diligent about them.
Side notes:
-Breast cancer also happens to men as they have breast tissue as well. It wouldn't hurt for men to also examine their pecs and chest areas and report abnormalities to a physician.
- What to look out for while performing a breast exam: abnormalities like lumps, bumps or knots, sores, dimples, nipple discharge (especially if you're not breast feeding.
- A cancer diagnosis is not a death sentence.
Thanks for reading.
Peace and Love
ππΎ♀️
- What to look out for while performing a breast exam: abnormalities like lumps, bumps or knots, sores, dimples, nipple discharge (especially if you're not breast feeding.
- A cancer diagnosis is not a death sentence.
Thanks for reading.
Peace and Love
ππΎ♀️
Comments